Click here to return to St. John Cassian Press bookstore page and order a book.
Questions and Answers on "Orthodox Prayers of Old England"
St. John Cassian Press and St. John of Kronstadt Press had both run out of copies of this beautifully bound and stamped Western rite prayer book. On Tuesday, March 27, 2007, the book will be back in stock at St. John Cassian Press, in 100 copies.
Q.: How much does the book cost?
A.: Through May 1, U.S. $35 each (normal price is $40). For U.S. orders, all postage/handling is waived through May 1. Foreign orders are $35/book plus regular postage/handling (actual cost to mail). This is for snail mail orders; for online ordering see the next question.
Q.: How can I pay?
A.: Mail your cheque or money order payable to St. John Cassian Press to: St. John Cassian Press, 1509 Cullen Ave., Austin, TX 78758 USA. You can also buy your books online, using PayPal, at http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/Bookstore.html. However, please pay $38 per book via PayPal. That means we are charging only $3 for all the PayPal costs, absorbing the remainder, and domestic postage/handling costs are still waived--this is a bargain.
Q.: Is there any tax?
Q.: How long do I have, to take advantage of the sale?
A.: Your cheque or money order mailing must be postmarked by May 1, 2007. It is recommended to order before holy week starts. As of Mar. 23 twenty-one (21) copies have sold. After holy week starts, none of us will have any free time. After Pascha, supply may grow scarce.
Q.: Can I order other St. John Cassian books together with the prayer book?
A.: Please don't combine your prayer book order with any other order, as this will delay shipment of your prayer book.
Q. What is in the prayer book?
A.: The prayer book consists of 456 6"x9" pages, Smythe-sewn, and
hardbound in imitation dark blue leather with beautiful gold stamping on the
front and spine. Contents include the following:
- Basic Prayers
- Morning Prayers
- Evening Prayers
- Table Blessings
- Reverences in Church
- Preparation for Holy Communion
- Order of Divine Services on Sundays and Feasts
- Prayers before the Divine Office
- Vespers for Sat., Sun., Mon., Tues., Wed., Thur., Fri.
- Compline (for reg. days, feasts, Our Lady)
- Matins and Lauds for Sundays
- Terce / Third Hour
- Sun. Water Blessing, Sprinkling, and Procession with Bidding Prayers
- Divine Liturgy (Sarum Mass, incl. Hierarchical items) + Bread Blessing
- Thanksgiving after Holy Communion
- Notes About the Mass (patristic origin of different prayers, spiritual interpretation of the service)
- Sext / Sixth Hour
- Nones / Ninth Hour
- Presanctified Mass (for Lenten weekdays)
- Missa Sicca (Western Rite typika)
- Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, incl. all things added for Hierarchical
- Gaelic Litany of the Holy Virgin Mary
- Litany of the Saints with Final Collects
- Jesus Prayer
- Salutations Before the Holy Cross
- Prayers of Remembrance (memoriser or intercession)
- Seven Penitential Psalms
- Fifteen Gradual Psalms with Collects
- Little Office of the Holy Virgin Mary (Vespers, Compline, Matins, Hours, etc.)
- Little Office of the Guardian Angel (Vespers, Compline, Matins, Hours, etc.)
- Priest's Visit to a Mother Newly Delivered
- Blessing of New Mothers (churching)
- Order of the Catechumenate / Holy Baptism / Chrismation / Tonsure
- Repentance (explanations)
- Guide to Confession (extremely complete examination of conscience)
- Order of Confession
- Betrothals (notes, banns, betrothals proper, nuptial mass, bed blessing)
- Service for Travellers
- Holy Unction (20 pages, all priest's prayers as well as the others' parts)
- Prayers for the Dying
- Vigils of the Dead (Vespers & Matins)
- Commendation of Souls (sung before every Requiem Mass)
- Requiem Mass
- Burial of the Dead
- Prayers for Various Occasions
1. Prayers for Those in the Church
Prayer of a Pastor
Prayers for Pastors & Archpastors
Prayer for the Faithful (2)
Prayer for a Monastery
Prayer for Unity
Prayer for Catechumens
2. Prayers for Family & Friends
For Those in Heresy / Schism
For Those in Judaism
For Those in Paganism
Prayer for a Living Friend
Prayer for God's Guidance
Prayer for One Sick or Afflicted
Prayers for the Sick
Prayer for Taking Medicine
Prayer for a Pregnant Woman
3. Prayer for Benefactors
4. Prayers for Prisoners
5. For All Living & Dead
6. For the Departed
Prayers in Time of Trouble
1. Against Evil Thoughts
2. Against Temptations of the Flesh
3. For Chastity
4. Thunderstorms & Tornadoes
6. Destroyers of the Church
7. Deliverance from Pagans
8. In Wartime
9. For Peace & Reconciliation
10. For the Holy Land
11. Against Gossips
12. In Afflictions
Prayers for Travel
Prayers for Good Death (of St. Melania, St. Hilary, many others)
Prayers for Fasting Days (one is for fasting on a vigil)
Prayers for Virtues and Blessings
1. For the Kingdom of Heaven (describes heaven - beautiful!)
2. For True Love
3. For Faith, Hope, and Charity
4. For Chastity
5. For Wisdom
6. For True Peace
7. For the Virtues
8. For Spiritual Life
9. For Indwelling of the Holy Spirit
10. For Courage in Nightly Fears
Prayers for Good Gifts
1. For Rain
2. For the Crops
3. For God's Protection—the Breastplate Prayers
Prayers for the Animals
1. For Animal Friends |
2. For Sick Animals |
3. Against Infestation
Service of Thanksgiving
Prayers to the Holy Trinity
Asking the Prayers of the Saints of God
1. The Theotokos (many)
2. Holy Angels of the Lord (many)
3. Patriarchs & Prophets (many)
4. Holy Apostles (many)
5. Holy Martyrs (many)
6. Holy Confessors (many)
7. Holy Women of the Lord (many)
Prayers to the Lord with His Saints
Prayer When One is Sick
Prayer for Protection from Enemies
Prayers of Repentance
1. Of St. Jerome
2. Short Prayer
3. Of St. Martin
4. Of St. Ephraim
5. For Tears, by St. Isidore of Seville
Prayer of Exorcism of Pope St. Leo III
Order of Reading the Holy Scriptures (prayers before reading)
Abbreviations for Books of Scripture
- Read the Whole Bible in a Year (schedule includes deuterocanonical books)
- Weekly Psalter Readings (150 psalms per week, includes the canticles)
- Clear comparison of Massoretic and Vulgate/Septuagint psalm numbering
- How to Make Singing Breads (prosphora recipe, prayers)
- Fasts and Feasts (explains the fullness of the Western tradition)
- Little Calendar (gives a Saint or two for each day of year)
- Eight Tones (gives psalm tones and neums)
- Exhaustive alphabetical indices
Except for the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom and the Jesus Prayer, everything is from the old tradition of the Western church. There are no modern Roman Catholic items. Many items are provided with musical notation, such as the Our Father, Te Deum, Sat. Vespers, and the 8 Tones.
Q.: Who printed the book?
A.: St. Hilarion Press. Since that printing date, the editor-in-chief of St. Hilarion Press awarded all book stocks to the editor at St. John Cassian Press.
Q. How did the book come to be reprinted?
A.: Through the generosity of a benefactor, who serves at the altar in a large, canonically-recognised Orthodox jurisdiction in North America. Please remember him in your good prayers this Lent.
Q. How much could I get the book for, on eBay?
A.: That depends, but the book sold a few years ago on eBay for over $350.00.
Editor, St. John Cassian Press